Germany/Austria Time

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Day is done, gone the sun, from the Alps.

Guten Abend!

Its really weird to think that it is merely close to supper time were yall are, and it is a bit past midnight here.
Rehearsals went very well today - I think we are getting close to being able to perform these bad boys, so to speak. Some of us discovered a ping pong table in the celler, and we have played a good many times today. I think the German cooks tried to be nice today by feeding us american-like food. We had chicken nuggets that were orangeish colored and some other meaty substances - in very large servings. I have noticed since today and the day previous that they consistently dish out very large servings. I guess that is just how they do it, r maybe they see all us skinny guys and think we are mal-nourished. So far I have not eaten anything I didnt like, and Mom you will be glad to know that I have tried everything put in front of me.

After this evening's rehearsal, mostmof us eventually made or way down to the local pub, the name of which I cannot remember. I played some pool and darts and fared fairely well most of the time. I had my first gulp of german beer - only one at this pub, (and I guess I should find out the name, since this was such a memorable moment.) It did not tast bad, and I can certainly see how one might aquire a taste for it. But don't worry dear ones, I don't plan on making a habit of it. I'll just stick to Root Beer. (I do have picture of the special occasion.) I wouldn't be posting more pictures except that it is somewhat time consuming and I would rather not spend much time loading pictures and instead be taking pictures of great things.

One more thing before I hit the hay. I did found out that the mountains we can see very well from the top floor are the Alps. And they have snow on them. yay! Tomorrow we have a morning rehearsal and then we are going places and seeing things the rest of the day. It will be grand I am sure.

Miss you all.

AB.

post script. please overlook any typing errors. i was hurried and this german keyboard has some keys rearranged - like the letters y and z.

7 comments:

Gracie said...

Hey Drew! Just letting you know that I'm keeping up with your trip. Sounds like you're having fun, and I hope the rest of the trip goes well! I'm praying for you all!

rachel tsunami said...

hey B-D, go back and notice a couple of comments I left on previous blog...while you were at the pub, no doubt...

I understand about the pics. Gotta make choices.

Loved your report. Heart swelling.

Sis said...

This is zour parentals' 1st foray into blogdom, but wanted to zay we're eatn up every word. Thanks for taking the time.

Mama wants to know if zour $2 conwerter verks?

So U can C the Alps? Cool. Is that where they make Alpo?

Unknown said...

Drew-bagger! Enjoying keeping up with the updates of your trip. Danke. Don't get any Germs in Germany!

rachel tsunami said...

Just after 8 am on Wednesday there. You're starting a new day. Weird. I'm just headed to bed after working late.

Give our girls a hug from us today. Tell them I said Yay for being in Germany. Hope y'alls day is just fabulous.

Justin said...

Hey! Yeah, the time difference was really weird at first (I believe it's something like 10 hours). While we were in Prague, we mainly visited local pubs because they typically make their own brew. Boy, what a difference! The best brew I had over there, though was at the Hofbrau House in Munich, Germany. We had a lot of fish (Texas A&M freshmen) on the trip, so they had no idea how to know when to stop. The bus trip back to the hotel was.....interesting. After all ~100 of us did the Aggie War Hymn publicly in the Hofbrau House (much to the confusion of all of the German visitors, the German entertainment band, and the Asian visitors on the opposite side of the room who quickly left in the order of children, women, then men after the wives tugged at their shirts long enough, save two American couples after they saw how "vocal" we became), the band director, Major Rhea decided it was time to leave, lol. As soon as we got back to the hotel, they did not allow any of us to stay in the lobby and sent us straight to our rooms. A friend of mine and I tried to start a card game in the lobby (thinking they were referring to the drunk fish), but Lieutenant Almany told us that despite our "sober condition," to be fair we had to return to our floor, at least. So, I made use of the pool, hot tub, and sauna on the third floor, hehe. I got a really rude awakening, though. Apparently, the sauna's are co-ed and the men tend to be walking around with a severe lack of clothing, so I tucked tail and ran warning all of my buddies on the way out not to look below the horizon, lol *cough*.

By the way, the brew we tried in Prague is called Pilsner Urquell. Most likely, it's available in Germany and Austria as well. As a matter of fact, much to my delight upon my return most of the local grocery stores in College Station, TX sell Pilsner Urquell in the bottle (which is not near as good, but still). Only problem is that it costs about $10-$11 per 6-pack (thanks to my idea to stock up while they were on sale for $8), so I only get it for special occasions.

Anyways, I apologize for the long comment. Continue to enjoy your stay over there and I hope all of y'all's (if that's a word, I still don't know) concerts go well!

God Bless and stay safe!!

van Danne said...

bro bagger! darts, pool, and brews at the local pub. what decadence. and we thought you were going to have an uplifting, educational experience.

i'm envious. besides, the alps are in sight, right?

i just have to say that timothy's comment made my day. and it's 8:36 here, so i guess that means it will be a good day.

auschnell!!!