Germany/Austria Time

Monday, June 30, 2008

Prelude (i know, that's a musical term)

Hello all! We have finally made it to Marktoberdorf, Germany, where we will spend the next few days rehearsing our music and roaming the booming (or not) village of Marktoberdorf, just down the hill from the castle where were are staying.

During our bus ride from Munich airport, The countryside felt quite homey, and it didn't strike in me that feelig of being so far away from home. In truth, even here at the castle, though everzthing reads in german and the town itself is somewhat different than maybe our typical american countryside village, the reality that I am an ocean away from my homeplace hasn't struke yet. It may help that I am very tired, but the fact that we made the trip in 9 hours, as oppose to maybe a two or three day trip, deprives a sense of being in a far away land, that I might otherwise be feeling. Telling myself that I am in Germany sounds very cool and I can mentally understand it, but that sense of being a world traveler is still coming.

This all being said, do not be led astray by thinking that I do not feel this to be an incredible experience, or that I am not excited. that just wouldn't be true. this is amazing.
AB

5 comments:

Lynn Bruce said...

Yay, you posted! I'm relieved to know you all made it fine! We prayed for you lots yesterday.

My daddy is here, and he said to tell you how much he wishes he could have gone with you -- he's always wanted to go to Germany.

Praying for you. Hug the girls for me. M&K, that is. hehe.

van Danne said...

you're staying in a castle.... rock on. and that's what i always wanted to do when i go overseas. just roam the countryside, check out village, enjoy a few at the local pub, etc...

rachel tsunami said...

It's thrilling to imagine it all...I trust your first day has been wonderful in a peaceful way, with no choral responsibilities till tomorrow...

Just spent some time reading the link that Aunt Olie sent the family:
http://worldchoirgames.info/index.php?id=944
oooo....tres impressive and tres exciting. (oops. I'll have to learn some german words to throw around so you'll feel like I'm right there with you. or not.)

well, my heart is just staying in my throat since seeing y'all off yesterday. (I probably look like a teenage boy with a huge adam's apple.)

Hug our girl's for us. Help protect them without them realizing it. ;-)

I love you so much, Bo-Doo. And love knowing you (pl.) will have a fabulous time. And come back home...changed. (not that I don't think you're terrific just as you are, but I just meant....)

Aunt
OAOYFS

Androphenese said...

AOAOMFS, unfortunately, i have no reception here in M'town so i have recieved no text messages. However, it may be that when i get to a different area of Europe (that was fun to type) that I will get such reception and recieve the text messages. I will let you know if this occurs. love you much.

Harris said...

suh-WEET! It sounds like a blast! A CASTLE! You'll have to tell me about that castle when you come home.